Saturday, March 7, 2009

california dreamin'

This week I traveled to Marina del Rey, CA, for a work meeting. I very rarely travel for work but when I do I'm lucky that it's usually somewhere nice. I've been to California several times but had never been in the LA area. Marina del Rey is just West of LA and attaches to Venice Beach. I flew into LAX and thought for sure I'd see a celebrity but alas, I saw none. :-( It was so nice to step out of the airport and see green grass, palm trees, flowers and to feel a warm breeze...ahhh! I was a bit bummed though because just as I was leaving for Cali, DC was receiving the largest snowfall we've had in years. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to welcome the warmth, but wished the snow could have held out long enough for me to get home to enjoy it since it doesn't often accumulate to much here.

After checking into my hotel I ventured down to Venice Beach. I grabbed a sandwich and enjoyed a mini picnic in the sand. It was a perfect beach day- 80 degrees with a breeze. The mountains could be seen in the distance and there were many sailboats on the water. I enjoyed just sitting in the sand and reading. I even took a short nap. Sounds pretty rough, right?

I had heard from some Californians that the current craze in Cali is a frozen yogurt place called "Pinkberry". Of course I had to find this place and try it for myself. It was so delicious!!! and tasted very different than the normal frozen yogurt.

My favorite adventure from this trip was driving the Pacific Coast Highway, aka Highway 1. I rented a car (let's pretend it was a convertible), grabbed a map, cranked the radio and drove the PCH with the windows down, hair flying in the breeze...it was perfect! It really is as beautiful as it looks in pictures and the movies.

I stopped frequently to admire the view and found a great
little beach to climb around on the rocks. While I was there a woman found a starfish and let me touch it-they're such beautiful creatures.




I love the ocean...its' sound, smell, feel. I can't ever get enough and so I tried to really soak it in while I was there. There's something so calming and soothing about the water, feeling the sand between your toes and the sun on your skin. It was a short trip but I really made the most of it and appreciated the break from winter. Oh, and the meeting went well too. :-)


No comments: